Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Embrace the Silence

Lately God has been impressing upon me the importance of silence. 

With the advancement of technology, "noise" fills up our lives -- yet Jesus set the example for us to disconnect daily to seek the voice of the father. In Jesus' time "noise" came in the throngs of people pressing upon him, clamoring to get near him. He was always busy speaking, teaching, working. But he set time aside at least ...once daily to seek out solitude and silence. 

We need that time to refocus. We need that solitude to listen to the rumblings of our own hearts and to hear what the voice of God would say in response. 

Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God, exalted above the nations". 

Exodus 14:14 says, "The Lord will fight for you, you need only to be silent." 

Matthew 14:23 says, "After he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. When evening came he was still there." 

And yet so many of us run from the silence and fill our lives with more noise. 

Stop. Turn it all off. Go find a mountain and pray. God is faithful to answer. You might be surprised at what he might say.

Precious Father.  Give me the ability to draw myself to a quiet moment and shut out the world.  Help me Lord to sit before you and to listen to my body breathe in and breathe out.  Let all my troubles fall away.  I pray Lord you would be faithful here in the quiet place where just you and I meet together.  Faithfully speak to me O Lord and minister truth and healing to all that is within me.  Lead me.  Guide me.  Love me I pray.... In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment