Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Beauty From Brokenness


How I love author Ann Voskamp. She inspires me daily with her writings and blog. I stumbled across her One Year Challenge of 1000 Gifts today which started January first. Each day she asks you to find 3 specific things for which to give thanks for and document them with pictures if you can. The premise is that at the end of the year will be a photo journal and diary that you can peruse to recall all the wonderful things you were blessed with each day of this year!  How I wish id found this on January first. Ah well. Better late than never!

Today is March 6th and today's assignment was to find three diffeent things....something Bent, something Broken and something Beautiful.  As the day passed me by I kept my eyes peeled.  Here is what I found without leaving my recliner!

Something Bent – Today I am laid up with bursitis in my shoulders. I've been so blessed today as my husband has waited on me. He is often so bent over in his own pain, on a daily basis and yet he thinks nothing of himself when I am in need.  I have been so incredibly blessed as he has served me, even from his bent position.

Something Broken – A letter arrived today from my dear Aunt Pat who is convalescing in a special hospital in California with a compound fracture of her leg.  She has had quite a time of it with various complications.  About 2 weeks ago I sent a card of encouragement with no expectation whatsoever of getting any response from her. But here today I was so blessed to receive this envelope with the writing of someone very old and obviously broken . She sent me a short letter to thank me and did so laying in bed in a prone position. It touched my heart so.  I shall treasure the love deeply.  Her leg may be broken, but not her heart.

Something Beautiful – As I sat here with my laptop both of my fur babies were keeping me company.  My shih-tzu Hannah and kitty Skeeter shared the recliner. Hannah was on the footstool and Skeeter, he has to be as close to me as he can. I dare say he'd lay ON my laptop if I'd let him. He was curled up here on the arm of the recliner. 
 
He made a noise as if to say, “I want to tell you something...” and I reached out my hand to him and he began to kiss my finger. I thought to myself....how precious is this cat to me! A piece of my mom and dad that is still here; our fur baby, the one we all loved together. A connecting bond. And here he is, sitting with me on mom's recliner, licking my hand. He's always loved recliners and the people who used them. Being with his people, comforting and kissing them he has always been faithful to do.  The love?  Beautiful.

The life lessons and the "God thing" in the conditions of bent, broken and beautiful is as follows.....Even in a bent, broken condition we can bring love and beauty to others.  Even from a recliner with ice on your shoulder you truly CAN find something to be thankful for....if you look hard enough.  Be happy.  Be positive.  Be blessed.  There is a silver lining in every cloud.

Thanks Ann.

No comments:

Post a Comment